Tuesday, October 7, 2014

September-Wander

Wander

BJP- 2014












BJP 2014


It wasn't clear what my September project would reveal to me until starting it.  Wander was the tag pulled out for this month. As I began to embellish the felted piece it became clear the piece would tell the tale of how Alzheimer's disease has attached itself to my family.  

My introduction to the debilitating disease was more than 30 years ago when being introduced to my future grandfather in-law.  He was severely affected. He didn't speak, his eyes were not engaged.  He looked at the ground and his feet wanted to move. It was frightening to wonder how someone could live in a world absent of connection.  Lo and behold did I know I'd be surrounded by the dreadful disease in the near future.

Family members who have lost their lives who've been affected by dementia or Alzheimer's include:

Grandpa Grandon

Grandma Banta

 Uncle Jim Banta

 

Those that are touching our lives everyday, again all in laws:

My Mother-in-law Pat Grandon

Cousin Jim Banta Jr.

 

To each of them I dedicate my September BJP piece: Wander 


This piece is felted, embroidery is applied as are beads.The couching train is the wandering train of the mind of Alzheimer's, the changes that take place and the chaos of it all. 


The time piece is movable and shown as a piece representing how slowly time ticks away once changes from the disease start.  For some it is slower than others. 


A current study of 10 Alzheimer's affected patients has promise.  I've encouraged my husband to take a look at it and perhaps challenge himself to follow the program to offset any potential affliction himself.  I will walk with him side by side to roadblock any chance he'd become a victim to this dreadful disease; even if it means some day he will do yoga or meditation.

UCLA study: Non-drug treatment may reverse memory loss in Alzheimer's patients

http://6abc.com/337057/ 

 



 

 

 



 

 



2 comments:

  1. I appreciate how the theme was revealed to you as you worked on the piece, this too reminds me of Alzheimers, how we work away at a little piece of each day and the whole picture doesn't come clear until afterward and its not the picture you thought it was going to be as it happened, but something different Spoken asa person who took care of my father with Alzheimers and who fears the disease in herself. Your husband is so lucky to have you by his side

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sheila for your kind post. I am sorry you had to go through this with your father. I totally understand the fear! I hope we find a cure soon.

    ReplyDelete