Thursday, December 15, 2016

"Happy Jack" aka "Smiley"

"Happy Jack" aka "Smiley"


"Happy Jack" brings a smile to my face and was so much fun to do.  He truly was a learning experience.  I wanted to do a whole cloth quilt but struggled with how to do the process.  I viewed Susan Brubaker Knapp's FAQ's on what paint to use and watched her video Dynamic Quilt Design for instruction.  Jack didn't start out like his final portrait below!

My Art Focus quilting group was challenged to exhibit an Autumn Quilt during the month of October at Carolyn Huff's Photography Studio.   The theme made it pretty easy to choose a quilt subject. Well, not as easy as I thought.  I originally wanted to do fall leaves, however by the time I could fit in time for the challenge quilt there were already 3 leaf quilts going into the exhibit. Needless to say I changed to a fall pumpkin and Happy Jack was born. 



The Paints


I combined Pro Chemical and Dye Transparent paints and Jacquard Textile paints. I purchased the paints from both Dharma and ProChem. 



The Painting





At one point during the creative process I was going to scrap the pumpkin.  My son, Bryan Rickerson,  came by one afternoon and asked me what exactly did I not like.  I didn't know and said so.  He is ultra talented.  He sat down and drew on Happy Jack's face....I loved the face and was excited to continue on.

The sky was exciting.  It was a spooky, scary Harvest moon type night sky creatively painted.  My excitement wavered from elation to deflation.  My hubby didn't like the sky from the beginning. When I'd ask him about how he thought Jack was progressing he made comments like "I just can't get past the sky".  My thoughts translated to "oh, what does he know anyway, he is only a painter and I am, well a "quilter".


Jack needed help and was taken to a quilt guild Art Focus member, Teresa Siefert.  Now, she intimates me because she is just that good at what she does.  However I'm grateful that I bit the bullet and took him to her. You'll never guess what she said to me at some point in her instruction.  She said "and what about that sky".  "Oh, you don't like my sky?" I replied.  "It needs work she said" and proceeded to show me how to soften it up.  And instructed me to listen to my husband because he paints!  Thank you Teresa!!




A wash was made to paint over the sky.  It began to soften almost immediately.



I took all of Teresa's tips using shadows and color to pop Jack's portrait. 


The eyes on the other hand were scary.  My hubby, who I am listening to by now, recommended I put plastic wrap over the eyes and paint to see how I liked the eye before I painted on the fabric.  It worked!


Eyes went onto the fabric easily and confidently but not before all the quilting was done!



Whole cloth painting/quilting is absolutely in my future.  I loved the process. He proudly displayed his smile downtown for the month of October.  Thank you Carolyn Huff


Happy Sewing!
Barbara







No comments:

Post a Comment