Saturday, March 4, 2017

"Tied Together For Life"

"Tied Together For Life"

Quilt Challenge 8.5

The challenge this week was so fun!  We were given the clue: well dressed man. Immediately I thought of my husband, who I actually take pictures of many mornings on his way to work because he is always so sharply dressed...and it makes my heart sing!  So when the challenge was introduced I knew I wanted to do something with ties (which I love).  I had collected a few silk ties from my father in law and had some fabric left over from shirts I 'd made my husband 35 years ago.  So as a dedication to these two men in my life I decided to combine the fabric and ties and call the piece "Tied Together For Life".   I could not have picked a better day to do this since it is our 33 wedding anniversary date!

My Everyday Inspiration



Happy Anniversary!


The Process



My friend Mel Beach is such an encouragement.  I wasn't going to do this challenge because of time elements, and just like everyone else, life just happens.  But she nudged me and I'm so glad she did. Thank you Mel!  After her nudge, I pulled out the ties and fabric I'd been thinking about all week.  


I played with a few lay outs and after settling on a layout I began to fuse my quilt sandwich together as well as put fusible on all the ties. 


 
Once all pieces were fused in the place I wanted them to be,  I machine appliquéd them in place, did some walking foot quilting and finished off the edge with a zig zag stitch.  

 It wasn't until I took this picture below did I see that if I turned it on what was originally it's side I now had these awesome houses!  Done and Done!





This will be my father in laws Father's Day gift.  Thank you for the challenge!  

6 comments:

  1. You are an amazing artist! Great concept and design; even better craftsmanship. Dad will love it, but he may have a hard time getting it away from me. A blessed man I am!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like I'll be making another quilt! :P

      Delete
  2. Barbara, this is amazing! Lovely layout, materials and quilting.
    Sounds like you have 2 wonderful men in your life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janie, Thank you! And you're right I am blessed with them both.

      Delete
  3. I adore how the ties look like houses! I may be a bit biased towards quilts with houses! Also super happy Mel gave you the push you needed! Fantastic work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your words of encouragement. I'm even inspired to do some more with ties and little houses/cities.

      Delete