Saturday, March 18, 2017

Time Is Up


Time is Up


"Time Flies" 

8 x 10

I've truly enjoyed these challenges thank you Kim and Trish!

Time is always something I wrestle with, especially in the studio. At the end of February Susan Purney Marks put out a challenge on Facebook called Desert Island Art.   The challenge description states that it is "a group creating their art from supplies that would fit into a "shoe box"! "We often make excuses for avoiding art because we don't have the "right" supplies, instead of using what we do have in a creative way" Susan stated.  



The "Desert Island Art Challenge" sounded like a lot of fun so I joined.  In addition to the Desert Island Art challenge, I also belong to the Project Quilt Challenge 2017.  The current challenge is 8.6, the 6th and last  in this series.  

What I didn't have in my shoebox for "Time Flies" was the little time element.  It was within reach of my table so for this challenge I reached around, picked it up and used it!



My 'Shoebox"


Packing my shoebox was a challenge. After packing, unpacking and repacking it, this is what it looked like.  All the supplies that would keep me busy for the month of March creating art packed into one box. 

I always try to start out with a clean spot so I cleared my space making sure I had plenty of room to work. 



It didn't take long to fill the cleared space with printed fabric! Gelli printing is something relatively new for me but boy am I hooked on the process.  I set out and printed 2 yards of pimatex fabric using the paints, stamps, lettuce cutter and sink rubber rest to make my prints.  

Having these done and working on pieces for the "Desert Island Art" challenge, made it pretty easy to do my piece for the "Time is Up" 8.6 challenge.  
This is a sampling of some of the cut up gelli prints.  



And here is a tease and a sampling of some of the art pieces created from phase one of these combined challenges.  The bonus is that in June my Art Focus group will be exhibiting at our local gallery and my pieces are now done!  I will post the rest of the pieces in a follow up blog post featuring all of the Desert Island Art created during the month of March. I look forward to seeing you then!  

Happy Creating. 


2 comments:

  1. What a fun combination of challenges. I'd love to learn more about what you included in your box and why you chose particular supplies. You clearly chose well as the finished pieces are gorgeous! And good for you for multitasking two challenges at once...so clever!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mel! I will most definately go into details of the "Desert Island Art" challenge after it is over at the end of March. Thanks for asking!

      Delete